Caramel Pecan Sticky Rolls
by Chef Heather Mader
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 scant Tb of dry yeast
2 cups warm milk
¼ cup sugar
1 Tbs salt
2 well-beaten eggs
7-8 cups unbleached flour
In the bowl of a kitchen mixer, combine warm milk, sugar and yeast and allow to sit until foam appears. Using the dough hook - stir in melted butter, salt, egg and add flour 1 cup at a time until a dough forms. If you have a heavy duty machine, continue to process on medium-low to "knead" until dough is soft. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and allow to double in size in a warm room then proceed with the recipe.
For the Rolls:
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 recipe dough (above)
- 6 tablespoons butter, soft enough to spread
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream. Pour into the pan. The mixture will be thick so you may have to use a spatula to spread evenly in the pan.
- Sprinkle pecans over top of the milk/sugar mixture.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in small bowl, set aside.
- On a surface, sprayed with cooking spray & lightly floured, roll out half of dough into a rectangle [roughly the same size as the 9x13 pan]. Place half of the butter onto the dough and spread it out. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon/sugar mixture over the butter.
- Roll up the dough [roll up from the longer side of the rectangle shape, not the shorter sides] and cut dough roll into 8 pieces. Place each piece in the pan on top of the pecans.
- Repeat with the 2nd half of dough, butter, sugar and cinnamon.
- Cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with cooking spray [the part of the plastic wrap that touches the dough].
- Leave in fridge overnight. In the morning, let sit out covered at room temperature for 1 hour. If you don't want to wait - allow to sit and size for 1 hour prior to baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- After baking let cool on wire rack for 4-5 minutes.
- Carefully take your pan and turn it upside down, over a serving platter or cutting board. Serve warm.